[iDC] Occupy the University: Reconsidering the Local

micha cardenas / azdel slade azdelslade at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 18:54:09 UTC 2010

Hi all. Here's an article I wrote for our newly released journal from the
UCSD visual arts department. Hopefully, it'll continue some of the
conversations on this list and start new ones...

Occupy the University: Reconsidering the Local

Online with images at
http://bang.calit2.net/pros/?page_id=11
http://pros.ucsd.edu

 *Micha Cárdenas*

*Author’s Note
As this article goes to publication, the University of California is
erupting as a site of political conflict over the recent budget cuts,
tuition increases and furloughs. A UC wide strike and walkout of faculty,
staff and students has been called for on August 24th, 2009, the first day
of instruction. It seems that the UC’s disregard for the health and
wellbeing of their employees, as well as for the quality of education, has
reached an intolerable point for many. Many academics have taken this
opportunity to turn their research back to the university itself, which is
exemplified by UC Berkeley’s colloquium event entitled “The University in