[iDC] The Open Solace Video Project

Ivan Sigal ivan.sigal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 15:10:47 UTC 2010

Hi all,

There are a number of other projects in the works to help ensure that
Haitians have input into the response and relief efforts, and
eventually, into reconstruction, that Haitians have the communications
and broadcast infrastructure to communicate at home and that Haitian
voices are amplified and available to the world, rather. Of course on
the comms side the ISPs, the cell phone companies, and both bilateral
and multilateral assistance is quite extensive. On the broadcast and
humanitarian information side, the largest is probably run by
Internews, which is the coordinating agency for humanitarian
information to UNOCHA for this crisis, and is working with a network
of community radio stations around Haiti - some 30 I believe. The
focus of that project is information for Haitians, by Haitians.

http://www.internews.af/InfoSavesLives/haiti_partners.shtm

My organization, Global Voices, has a special coverage page following
and amplifying the citizen media perspective. We also have several
staff in Haiti working to ensure that the citizen media perspective
can be integrated into other information streams.

http://globalvoicesonline.org/specialcoverage/haiti-earthquake-2010/

A good place to look for more information is the CDAC ning website: http://crisescomm.ning.com/

ThomsonReuters, the BBC, and a number of other organizations are also
intending or already working on projects in Haiti. BBC has a new
Creole service, just launched:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8475381.stm

Varying reports on cell phone and Internet.

Internet: all three ISPs are up and running, and were not seriously
incapacitated - hence the proliferation of tweeting and blogs
immediately after the quake. I understand that the ISPs actually have
excess capacity at the moment. One significant challenge is fuel. Both
ISPs and cell networks had redundant systems (generators mostly) at
their transmission facilities because electricity was always spotty.

Cell phone networks had significant problems in the early days
ensuring flow of power to their towers, I understand. They claim to be
returning to normal capacity. Four days ago Digicell claimed it was
back to 80% capacity, for example.

Best,

Ivan

Ivan Sigal