[iDC] Replacing Facebook

Magnus Eriksson magnus at piratbyran.org
Wed Jun 2 18:00:51 UTC 2010

As far as ties are concerned I think facebook mostly covers a middle
ground between loose contacts and close friends. A middle ground that
is growing today because of the ability to manage relationships better
(and perhaps less distinction between work and leisure). And also to
some extent facilitating the movement between different spheres of
relations (finally ending up in the phone book...)

Another socially important role that facebook have filled at least in
Sweden, and which is often neglected, is its role in managing and
organizing events in physical spaces. Clubs, parties, exhibition,
raves, demonstrations, concerts. In Sweden facebook have had a huge
impact on these and directly affected what kind of events are
socially, legally and economically possible to do. Unfortunately this
have led to a lot of them ONLY announcing on facebook. The advantage
for greyzone activities like underground clubs, it is not at least the
ability to give information of the location only at the last moment
and only to a network of (semi-)trusted people.

The post-digital effects of facebook I think is just as large as what
is happening on the site itself.

/Magnus