[iDC] Getting started: Equity or utility in the future of learning?

Nancy White nancyw at fullcirc.com
Tue Jun 8 18:48:17 UTC 2010

I'm ready to jump in with two thoughts to stir the pot that George
has just put on the fire. I know - poor form to put in two thoughts
in one email, but expediency wins today!

#1 Think Beyond Institutionalized Higher Education
The first is to say coming from OUTSIDE of higher education, I have
repeatedly had the chance to go back for an advanced degree. Instead
I chose the "school of life in the networked world" over the
formalized degree because I can get what I want and need, I can get
critical feedback and critique, and I can get it at a price I can
afford --> my time and attention. The cost for a degree for me,
someone working mostly with non profits, could not be recouped. I
have too much income to get a scholarship. And I have the savvy to
figure out how to do this.

My learning lives beyond formal institutions. My learning has been
globalized  since 1996. Between my options as a solo learner, as part
of a defined cohort/group/community or out across the networks I
connect to, I am living it. I don't have to wait for any university
to catch up. What are the implications?

I don't think I am unique, nor do I think my uniqueness is restricted
to North America or Europe. While the contexts vary widely, the full
set of "costs" of going to university or for graduate degrees are significant.

So why do we want to continue a model that amplifies these problems?
And why do we assume a formalized degree is the "right and proper"
path for our learning trajectory? What about informal and life long
learning? How can we create contexts where this adds the kind of
value that a) gets people in jobs b) provides them with the learning
they want/crave/need and c) is scalable?

It is interesting that the 2010 EFQUEL meeting in Portugal this year
will revolve around the theme of
inclusion.(http://www.efquel.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=88&Itemid=113&lang=en)

So the question is, learning FOR WHAT? For whose interest? For
keeping universities in business? I hope not. ;-)  I hope I can
contribute from the "outsider" perspective. ;-)

#2 Duality Everywhere
The second bit I want to throw in comes from facilitating a number of
meetings around "e-learning in Africa" where I hear things that both
excite and scare the *&$&%*&$ out of me. For every "solution" there
is the flip side that I believe we should include in our
explorations. Things like
    * the "massification of learning" a term that also worries me
which I heard from university administrators from a number of Africa
countries-- the duality of providing wide scale access, and the
challenge of resisting reinforcing the "factory" model of education
and concerns about quality (and what that means!).
    * The adoption and rejection of technology as an enabler
(computer, mobile - everything,) See Karyn Romais' recent posts from
E-Learn Africa and my notes from IST Africa. Links:
http://karynromeis.blogspot.com/2010/06/corporate-learning-at-elearning-africa.html,
http://karynromeis.blogspot.com/2010/05/jumbled-early-reflections-of-elearning.html
and
http://www.fullcirc.com/2010/05/27/graphic-notetaking-at-ist-africa/
(the actual notes, not the process info about how I made them!)

While I am at heart an optimist, exploring the dark with the light is
crucial in examining our choices for education going forward.

So there are two big elephants in the room, right off the bat!

Waving from Seattle, Washington

Nancy

  At 04:38 AM 6/8/2010, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>

>A few thoughts to get started:
>
>Education has been described as "the last field to globalize". This
>is not for lack of trying. Attempts by universities to develop a
>global presence result more frequently in failure than in success
>(such as Johns Hopkins failed move into Singapore). For-profit
>entities such as Apollo Group and Laureate Education (who recently
>announced Bill Clinton as an honorary chancellor) have had more
>succes, growing to multi-billion dollar internationally distributed
>university systems. In contrast, some investors are predicting a
>large scale implosion of the for-profit sector
>(<http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-27/eisman-of-big-short-says-sell-education-stocks-update2-.html>http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-27/eisman-of-big-short-says-sell-education-stocks-update2-.html)
>
>Enrolment in higher education is growing rapidly, from 29 million in
>1970 to 153 million in 2007. Growth has occurred in all regions -
>sub-Saharan Africa, Pacific, Asia, Latin America, etc (
><http://www.uis.unesco.org/template/pdf/ged/2009/GED_2009_EN.pdf>http://www.uis.unesco.org/template/pdf/ged/2009/GED_2009_EN.pdf
>). At the same time, governments are turning to education as a
>saviour of sorts in economic innovation and transformation
>(<http://www.rockinst.org/newsroom/news_releases/2010/03-15-new_paradigm_for_economic_development.aspx>http://www.rockinst.org/newsroom/news_releases/2010/03-15-new_paradigm_for_economic_development.aspx).
>If we focus on enrolment numbers and the role governments turn to
>higher education to fulfill, this does not look like an industry in
>decline. Add irritating terms like massification and education for
>all, particularly light of globalization, and we have what looks
>like a healthy system (oh, and throw in a dose of student mobility).
>
>Universities that have traditionally relied on equities-based growth
>now need to find alternative revenue sources
>(<http://www.educationalpolicy.org/pub/pubpdf/0902_recession.pdf>http://www.educationalpolicy.org/pub/pubpdf/0902_recession.pdf).
>"Knowledge commercialization" has not yet provided a suitable
>replacement. International students is a more promising approach.
>For example, in Australia, education is one of the largest export
>earner
>(<http://www.idp.com/research/statistics/education_export_statistics.aspx>http://www.idp.com/research/statistics/education_export_statistics.aspx).
>However, recent change in immigration laws has significantly
>impacted this sector with fears of 20-40% drop in international students.
>
>Costs of education continue to increase, with a greater portion of
>the tuition falling on the learners. Government support, as a
>percentage of total tuition, shows a long line of decline. Learners
>are forced to pick up the slack. The connection between a university
>degree and economic gain is being questioned
> [...]

Nancy White | Full Circle Associates | Connecting communities online
nancyw at fullcirc.com | +1 206 517 4754 | GMT - 8 |skype - choconancy |
Twitter NancyWhite
http://www.fullcirc.com/