[iDC] how to open up education

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Sun Jun 20 00:21:32 UTC 2010

Hiya,

 From the book...

> So let us be specific. We propose significant sums of federal funding
> be used to
> extend the open source realXtend code base, and to create a network of
> community centers, two for each state. These bricks and mortar
> buildings, and
> the business that will grow up around each center, will support all
> maintenance
> costs for a next generation immersive Virtual World (iVW) system. ...
> The "EducationWorlds.com" branding may be developed so that people
> will know
> about the Bridge between High School and College. Once this branding is
> established, continuing funding will be generated locally as a
> function of these
> state funded community centers, and for profit franchises that are
> proto-typed by
> the two centers. The two centers per state will prototype tea and
> coffee shops,
> where significant telecommunication capacity will be open to the
> public. In each
> state, the community center will be franchised with the branding
> Second School
> ^(TM) Coffee and Tea Shops Inc. These businesses will form a business
> co-op in
> each state.
> The Bridge is a fully monitored and dedicated peer-to-peer iVW system. ...

This is exactly the opposite of what I am recommending, and not
congruent in any way with the approach and philosophy I describe.
It appears to be a book dedicated largely to a commercial enterprise,
and is simply attempting to free-ride on the current discussion.

-- Stephen

On 06/19/2010 10:03 AM, Paul Prueitt wrote:

> [...]
> based social structure. The educational system assists us in giving up
> our expectation that intention be expressed in a pure form.  In fact
> we are taught that intention is necessarily evil, unless shaped by the
> supply side.  This "teaching" is part of the fundamentalism.   The
> media and our literatures goes to great lengths to given evidence to
> this assertion about individual intent.  We are fed a continuous
> supply of evidence as to our unworthiness.  We accommodate this
> feeding as we become ever more incapable.    This process is one that
> must eventually reach the point of absolute absurdity.
>
> Maybe we are now "here".  Maybe it is time to turn the corner and
> evolve in the opposite direction, to re-establish the concept of
> governance by the People and also to not over react.  Might we reform
> without extreme reaction?
>
> The Education Bridge makes the proposal that teaching using supply
> side methodology creates acquired learning disabilities, specific at
> first (1950-1990) to mathematics and science, but now non-specific.
>  The entering freshman are rejecting the very notion of learning
> anything.  They wish to just graduate with the credentials that allow
> them to earn a living and consume.  We pretend to teach and they
> pretend to learn.
>
> We move away fro the notion of a meritocracy. The remediation to this
> trend is also proposed.
>
> The remediation is to develop Socratic,constructivist and
> participatory pedagogy that asks the individual student to demand
> specific topics to be discussed, rather than to be forced to consume
> the material in a specific order and using a very rigid syllabus.  If
> the demand is from a desire to understand self, then this demand will
> lead to capacity to serve self and others.
>
>>> how hard it is to
>>> create the consumable.
>
> /The Education Bridge /suggests that we no longer create a regime of
> consumables that are forced on the student, but rather develop a set
> of focus topics, the complete set of which would be the "curriculum".
>  There is guidance, not all notions of "supply" are lost!   The
> framework for curriculums is provided, but choices are allowed.
>
> We then allow students to select which of these consumables he or she
> wishes to internalize and then to re-express.  The re-expression
> involves an induction, the localization of non-locality and the
> emergence of creativity.   The methods that might support this "demand
> pedagogy" are illustrated in the /Bridge/.
>
> The objective we may choose to share is to balance a system that is
> now 95% supply side and create a system where a 50-50 balance between
> supply and the aggregated pure intent of individuals.  How is this
> aggregation to occur, so that we as a society anticipate the future?
>  The answers we give are surprising at first.
>
> We would be pleased if this list would focus on this proposal, as

Signature 	Stephen Downes
Research Officer, National Research Council Canada
100 rue des Aboiteaux, Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada E1A 7R1
Website: http://www.downes.ca ~ Email: stephen at downes.ca
<mailto:stephen at downes.ca>