[iDC] iCollege

Trebor Scholz scholzt at newschool.edu
Tue Jun 22 16:08:07 UTC 2010

Like Ian, I link students to my peers outside the university sometimes.
Today's social milieus of the Web make that ridiculously easy. There are
more ways of connecting more people and I am happy to detail some of my
learning experiments with Zoho, Seesmic, Skype, Second Life, and soon
http://n-1.cc, in a future post.

George broad up the costs of institutionalized learning. Currently,
there are fierce debates about education in Germany and it seems as if
the introduction of high tuition and student loans is immanent. In the
US, colleges and universities are placing so much hope in online courses
because their institutional budgets get tighter by the day and this
"distance learning" is profitable. But while this is *not* an argument
against online education, let me be straight. I do not think that we
should inculcate new social media to do everything faster, more
effective, and cheaper. Qualitatively high online courses are often
expensive because they require various facilitators to be engaged.
Horizontal connections among learners are necessary but they are not
sufficient. Institutions of higher learning are based on conceptions of
centralized expertise that seemed justified for centuries. The model of
people grouping around our elders under the tree of knowledge is
antiquated but expertise still matters. And let's face it; online
facilitation and tutoring can be just as soporific as a bad two-hour
Powerpoint lecture. Courses that are exclusively taught online, I think,
can be good at empowering people who are already passionate about
learning. From my experience, however, it's trickier to motivate people
to dedicate themselves to the mighty goal of learning without a
memorable learning event and their whole body being on the line.

But surely, the failures of learning institutions led to disgruntled
learners! No doubt about it. So, let's do something. First of all, I am
not interested in creating novel technologies for the sake of developing
them. What we need is innovation in the university. I suggest a blended
approach to learning that relaxes the boundaries of the institution, a
balanced diet for us as learners. If it comes to emerging ways of
knowing, some are holding on to social media for their life but that's
the wrong place to start.

First, we should collectively get our values straight. For me, that
means 1) A dedication to making an unprecedented openness of learning
resources and scholarly material the default. 2) Innovating formats for
discourse. 3) Meaningful collaboration. 4) A commitment to engaging
learners. After we are all clear about our values, we can think about
long-term plans and finally we can discuss tactics, which also involve
specific tools.

How do YOU instigate the process in which people learn from each other?
Which values would you propagate? What are some practical steps that
help you to carry your educational values to the net? And finally, what
are some sure ways of engaging learners through social media?

ts