[iDC] education should be inefficient

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Thu Jun 24 16:21:41 UTC 2010

Astra's email was both enlightening, inspiring and (for me) reassuring. Like
Astra my schooling was far from complete. I dropped out of school at 15 to
go surfing and never got back to it. I never went to university, at least
not to do a degree. Years later I found myself teaching at a university (in
a country far from where I grew up) and nobody seemed to be bothered I had
little formal education. They were happy I could teach what I knew (digital
art). These days I rarely teach on taught programmes, mostly working with
research students.

I have always had mixed feelings about teaching. On the one hand I always
feel like a fake in that as I didn't study at a university, or study
formally to be an artist, then why should I know what is necessary to teach
somebody who has chosen to do that. On the other hand, I figure that to be
an artist there is no such thing as an appropriate education and that as I
didn't go that route I might be able to offer students something that is
outside the usual curriculum or approach.

The main thing though is that I have really come to value the openness and
flexibility of an institutional framework that, for all its imperfections,
is able to work with and employ people like myself who are hardly good PR
for them. That is, if I can end up a professional artist and a senior
academic as well then why does anybody need an education. Aren't there
easier, better or more enjoyable ways?

My answer to that is that there might be more enjoyable ways but there is no
easier or better way. Working as a young self-taught artist was tough and I
made a lot of mistakes I probably would not have if I'd gone to college. I
also worked for many years in isolation, as the university environment
offers a social context and creative culture for the aspiring artist that
going it alone does not. That context of mutual support can be invaluable,
especially when struggling to find your own voice. You need to interact with
others in order to differentiate yourself.

So, when a student asks me why they should finish their degree when it is
clear it is not a requirement for them to be an artist I point to these
factors, as well as the studio and equipment they have access to as a
resource they would probably not otherwise have. I also mention that
sometimes their teachers might be able to help them a little.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs
s.biggs at eca.ac.uk  simon at littlepig.org.uk
Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Research Professor  edinburgh college of art
http://www.eca.ac.uk/
Creative Interdisciplinary Research into CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/
Centre for Film, Performance and Media Arts
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/film-performance-media-arts

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/feature_is_wharton_ruining_american_business>
/