[iDC] Replacing Facebook

Jon Ippolito jippolito at maine.edu
Fri May 21 10:44:01 UTC 2010

On May 14, 2010, at 8:00 AM, idc-request at mailman.thing.net wrote:

> From: Andreas Schiffler:
>
> I wanted to post a quick link that would allow anyone who is fed-up with
> Facebook's continuing path of commercializing the social graphs of its
> users to fund the development of an open source distributed replacement:
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196017994/diaspora-the-personally-controlled-do-it-all-distr
>
> Seems like a worthy goal and technically feasible (although I admit that
> I won't be donating, since I don't have a use for such a service).
Thanks, Andreas. I contributed, not because I have a use for Facebook, but because I have an interest in seeing it die. More background at "Your guide to the Facebook revolt of 2010":

http://www.nmdnet.org/2010/05/18/your-guide-to-the-facebook-revolt-of-2010/

Best,

jon
Still Water--what networks need to thrive.
http://still-water.net/