[iDC] Replacing Facebook

Jean Burgess jean at creativitymachine.net
Thu May 27 07:20:19 UTC 2010

Geert and list

I left two years ago, in a vocal (and blogged) huff, because I thought
FB showed obvious signs of outright contempt for and blatant but
sneaky manipulation of the user community who were co-creating it.

However, in general I am still conflicted about the idea of multiple
flexible platforms in place of single monopolistic ones - because as
I've tried to say here before, I think there is tremendous social and
cultural value that results from lots and lots of different people all
using one simple, usable platform. If it's relatively open (from our
point of view, not theirs, which FB isn't) and interoperable (ditto).

Another thing in all this is how you can watch the level of awareness
of these issues grow among users, as a *consequence* of the very thing
FB's business model is aimed at - increased connectivity and visibility.

Interesting times etc

Best
Jean