[iDC] Maori Spectrum

Jesse Drew jdrew at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 1 22:04:31 UTC 2010

Hi Greta,

I did some research regarding spectrum auction over Maori land some years ago but you may find it relevant to your project.

Should be here:

http://www.waitangi-tribunal.govt.nz/reports/summary.asp?reportid=9b5ed50e-e089-4d64-8961-aea664b9a08d

Good luck-

Jesse Drew

I am writing about radio spectrum auctions in developing-world contexts as a question of urban planning: how does spectrum management affect planning issues such as public health and safety, access to economic resources and jobs, and literacy? And do companies sometimes over-reach in bidding (as happened in Europe with the 3G auctions), thus rendering themselves unable to build infrastructure, causing some communities to be left further behind?

In a sense, I am stepping back from the question of how learning is facilitated through technology to ask whether control of communications infrastructure in itself is a mechanism that has a much larger role in determining the effectiveness of public-interest goals than we usually think about...

Any thoughts (or case studies!) very welcome.

Thanks,
Greta Byrum
Columbia University GSAPP
Urban Planning