[iDC] :: Deinstitutionalizing education ::

Cristóbal Cobo cristobalcobo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 14:43:02 UTC 2010

Dear all:

I would like to add few more things to this conversation, basically point
out some critical views about technology and education that could help us.

I hope these sources allow us to analyse things from
a different perspective.

Even if you are sceptical to those that provide the following results (EU,
OECD),

I urge you to exchange ideas about the following question:

*What if we are using thechnologies in the wrong way?*

*
*

*
*

*[Source] The use of
<http://ec.europa.eu/education/lifelong-learning-programme/doc/sec2629.pdf>
ICT <http://ec.europa.eu/education/lifelong-learning-programme/doc/sec2629.pdf>to
support innovation and lifelong learning for all - A report on
<http://ec.europa.eu/education/lifelong-learning-programme/doc/sec2629.pdf>
progress<http://ec.europa.eu/education/lifelong-learning-programme/doc/sec2629.pdf>
. *European Commission Staff Working Document (2008)

*“ *The *impact of ICT on education *and training has *not yet been as great
as had been expected *despite wide political and social endorsement. In
particular, the transformation of business and public services through *ICT
has not yet reached teaching and learning processes...”*
*
*

*[Source] OECD <http://ictlogy.net/bibciter/reports/contacts.php?idc=108>
 (2006). Are Students Ready for a Technology-Rich World?: What PISA Studies
Tell Us <http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/28/4/35995145.pdf>. Paris: OECD.*

   1. Governments have pursued *policies to increase equity of access *to
   computers at school, while the *proportion* of homes with *computers has
   also grown*.
   2. The PISA evidence confirms previous studies showing the
particularly *strong
   association of performance with home access and usage*.
   3. “[T]he key issue raised here is the comparatively *low performance
   among those without home computers*.”
   4. Only a *minority* of students reported frequent use of specific
*educational
   software*....
   *
   *

*[Source] OECD (2008). New Millennium Learners. Initial findings on the
effects of digital technologies on school-age
learners<http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/39/51/40554230.pdf>.
OECD/CERI.*

   1. In the school sector, the *rhythm of investments in technology*,
   intended to facilitate its adoption, has generally *been impressive *in
   OECD countries.
   2. “The *impact of computer *availability at *home* upon academic
   attainment is clearly higher, in most countries”.
   3. “A *second digital divide *emerges: it is no longer about access, but
   about *differences in use*”.
   4. “Despite thousands of studies about the impact of technology use on
   student attainment [...] there is *no conclusive evidence *about the
   benefits of technology in school performance”.
   *
   *

*[Source] OECD (2010) Educational Research and Innovation: Are the New
Millennium Learners Making the Grade?: Technology Use and Educational
Performance in PISA
2006<http://browse.oecdbookshop.org/oecd/pdfs/browseit/9609101E.PDF>
.*

   1. [PISA 2006].. one of the limitations of many educational ICT policies
   is that most countries have *not developed holistic policies* for
   educational use of ICT.
   2. There is evidence of a *second “digital divide” *emerging [...]
   between those students *who have the skills *to benefit from computer use
   and those *who don’t*. Although the data *do not prove a causal
   connection *between *familiarity with computers and performance*, they
   show that better-performing students are more familiar with computers.
   3. *Frequency of computer use at home *makes more of a *difference* in *
   performance* on the PISA tests than *frequency* of computer use at *
   school*.

*[Source]* Francesc Pedró. Is technology use related to educational
performance? Evidence from
PISA<http://consortium.teach-advanced-online.org/file.php/1/resources/PISA_Technology_Use.pdf>

   1. One of ICT's main strengths is its capacity to *support informal
   learning. Self-learning *and informal peer-learning are by far the two
   most important mechanisms for obtaining skills and competences (EU, 2008).
   2. Students using *computers at home *are likely to be more interested in
   ICT, have more scope for *experimental* and self-learning, and can search
   and *discover the resources *that are *best suited to their needs *(OECD,
   2010).
   3. *ICT familiarity matters for educational performance*: higher
   performers have a lengthier experience of computer use, also *when
   accounted for ESCS differences *(OECD, 2010).

Before end, please let me add two last questions

*Don´t we need more evidence and less utopia?
Are We Looking in the Wrong Place? *
*
*

•       *ICT by itself shouldn´t  be consider (anymore) a driving force in
education*.

•       The results show the need for more *micro-studies*.

•       This call for *stronger links between school-works *and what
students do at home.

*
*

*We may need to learn how to:*

*
*

   1. Raise *awareness* among educators, parents and policy makers of the
   consequences of increasing *ICT familiarity*.
   2. Identify and *foster* the *development* of 21st century *skills and
   competences *addressing  the *second digital *divide.
   3. Adopt *holistic approaches *to ICT in education.

I look forward to hearing from you

Best

Cristobal Cobo

http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/?id=189