[iDC] Discussion: The Edupunks' Guide

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Mon Aug 8 10:08:54 UTC 2011

Hi Anya

Given that teaching is only a proportion of what education is about, and undergraduate teaching a small proportion of that, I wonder how you see the larger socio-economics of education working?

The main work of higher education institutions is research, the making of knowledge. Most of the work involved in this is undertaken by academics and research students (who will be the next generation of academics). Whilst there are questions to be answered, as to how efficient universities are at doing this work, this is and will remain expensive work. In the US this work is paid for by a mixture of corporate and state funding. In Europe the investment overwhelmingly by the State.

Research is done for is own sake but also contributes to the cultural, economic and industrial development of a society. It also provides the context for the teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students. If you are an undergraduate at an institution that is not research focused you may not be aware of how central research is to higher education but even in teaching oriented institutions there is usually some research going on. Generally, although not always, the more research going on in a department the better the department. There are many factors involved in why this is so, a major one being the money that research brings in, paying for resources and the academics who will, when not doing research, do some teaching.

For research focused institutions it is not unthinkable that teaching be removed from their activities. Undergraduate teaching, at least in the UK, is generally unprofitable, if not loss-making. Not having to spend resources on teaching could save some institutions a lot of money and allow them to get on with their main work, research. If self-education was to become a successful movement, that resulted in most students deciding to not attend university, many institutions would not find this a problem and some would financially benefit.

However, to remove teaching from higher education is to miss the point of what higher education is about. The university is about creating a culture where the making and sharing of knowledge is the focus. Students benefit from studying in an environment where the people who develop and implement the infrastructure around them are the experts in their field - not just knowledgeable of the subject but determining the extent of that subject. Even when students have little direct contact with these people they are nevertheless benefiting from being in the same environment. Similarly, students bring new ideas and priorities into the institution, constantly renewing the environment, sometimes in very unexpected ways. Some of them will progress to be the next generation of academics.

If one considers learning to be the only function of education then your key question could be reasonable and the sort of answers you propose might be viable. However, as education is about so much more I wonder how you propose to assure the future health of a sector of our culture that many would accept is essential to the overall health of our society. Your vision of education, focused on what's in it for the student and how what they learn can fulfil their needs, could, in this context, be considered dangerously instrumentalist, reducing education to simple training and skills acquisition.

best

Simon

Simon Biggs | simon at littlepig.org.uk | www.littlepig.org.uk

s.biggs at ed.ac.uk | Edinburgh College of Art | University of Edinburgh