[iDC] Are we changing?

Pamela McLean pamela.mclean at dadamac.net
Wed Aug 24 23:00:30 UTC 2011

I'm responding to Michael saying "If we could even just simply describe
ourselves, we will have some rare insight." (I have read all the posts in
this thread - but should perhaps explain that I'm not an academic and so I
am not familiar with all the references and haven't completely understood
all that I have read).

I have two contributions to offer related to identity.

One relates to identity and employment. I am preparing some workshops for
people who are facing redundancy, and the thinking behind those workshops is
relevant to the question of identity. In the workshops we will look at the
wider picture, the personal  implications, and what can be done. First we
will need to reflect that we are in a period of rapid change. It is hard to
remember exactly how things were five years ago.... ten years... fifteen ...
It is hard to remember all the gadgets we didn't have, and the ways we
managed to do things without them etc. Given our difficulties in remembering
clearly the rapidly changing past, and given that the pace of change is
increasing - how can we possibly imagine five years ahead, or even shorter
periods? This means that for an increasing number of us the future is a
foreign country, and the best we can do is to make what preparations we can
for the journey into the unknown and whatever it may bring.

Losing jobs and going out into an uncertain future has implications for our
sense of self - which for many people is tied up with their job label. No
matter what the future brings I believe that a couple of things are worth
looking at before redundancy hits. One is that in most uncertain situations
we are stronger together. So, when facing redundancy and loss of the social
interactions of your work it is important to build your relationships with
others outside of work. When you suddenly end your job and become time-rich
it is important to do meaningful things with others The worst possible thing
is to hide yourself away writing job applications letters and getting
isolated and depressed.

A key issue to address is your attitude to the question "Does being
workless  (I mean "without paid work") also mean you are worthless?".
Naturally I am suggesting that an attitude of "I am my job label" is very
narrow, and that only valuing people for what they can buy is a shallow way
to look at things, and not an attitude they want to hold on to. I want to
help people develop a different view of themselves (and other people) that
can help them to cope with having no job label (and maybe even to thrive
outside the tyranny of continuous, predictable, full-time employment).

I will not discuss now the value of all the unpaid work that we do for each
other, nor the challenge of alternative, unpredictable working patters nor
the alternative ways of rewarding effort other than money, but we will look
at them in the workshops.

Also possibly relevant to "If we could even just simply describe ourselves,
we will have some rare insight." is my own attempt to do so, written last
Monday, on returning from UNCIVILISATION 2011: The Dark Mountain
Festival<http://www.dadamac.net/event/uncivilisation-2011-dark-mountain-festival>I
wrote this
http://dadamac.posterous.com/on-returning-from-dark-mountain (NB I gave up a
full time job ten years ago in order to devote more time to something that
is still hard to describe. It was in response to the needs and vision of a
friend who was going back home to set up a community project.  I was willing
to live more precariously, doing miscellaneous paid work to cover essential
bills, so that I could have time and flexibility to commit myself to what I
thought was more important. I am still doing that and when people ask me
what I do I struggle to give an answer.)

So - those are my two responses to "simply describing ourselves" - offered
previous responses to your earlier post.

Pamela