[iDC] The Twitter Revolution Must Die

Brian Holmes bhcontinentaldrift at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 14:46:50 UTC 2011

On 02/01/2011 11:31 PM, Michael H Goldhaber wrote:
>  As far as I can tell, the developers of
> Facebook and Twitter were only partly motivated by money, but they
> saw the need to make easy-to-use tools to penetrate a new market.
 > Simply to condemn them for that is absurd.

Have you considered the notion of liberal empire, Michael? For that is
the US since 1945. The idea has always been to penetrate, as you say,
new markets, in order to extract whatever value lies there. This has led
to continual waves of technological change imposed by US companies, of
which the last one was the Internet and the associated computer toolkit,
forming the basis of a new worldwide expansion of American-led
free-market capitalism after 1989. Its great liberal promise is freedom
of expression and freedom of self-organization, both politically and
economically. However, that same promise has always had its other side:
the domination of the new markets by mega-corporations along with the
political subjection, by police and military means, of entire
populations whose only function for the economic system is to give up
whatever meager earnings they may have to those same corporations.
Therefore, as an American I would propose that it is simply obscene to
celebrate any part of this corporate system, including those aspects
which appear "promising." Let's use the tools, of course; let's listen
to people and talk with them in whatever way we can; and in the case of
Egypt let's try to understand what it has been like to live for thirty
years in a country whose police force and secret services have been paid
for by the US government, trained and equipped by the US, in order to
carry out US policy in the Middle East, while the economy of the country
stagnates, jails proliferate and political freedoms are nil. Let's also
try to imagine what it is like to live in a region where the US (along
with the arms industries of Britain and France and Germany and Russia)
promotes war after war after war, both to safeguard its oil supplies and
simply in order to sell its weapons systems which literally shred people
to pieces. Cluster bombs for breakfast? It's reality, man. Your taxes
pay for it. Having been responsible for this, shall we now claim that we
have done a wonderful thing, that we have brought democracy with some
branded app? This is not about being hot-headed. This is about having a
bit of lucidity and some compassion towards the people who have been
dominated by "our" failed promises, or rather, by the neoliberal
political economy which is the current version of liberal empire.

That the people who invented the new communications tools did not plan
to become part of liberal empire just means they are unconscious of what
they are involved in. But they are still involved in it. Since the
bursting of the Internet bubble way back in 2000, every new development
has had a strict corporate business plan, which entails treating the
users not as conscious human beings (which is the way open-source
software addresses its users) but as unwitting pawns in a strategy of
market penetration, i.e. the rape of consciousness itself. Exactly that
kind of strategy has produced the proto-fascist zombie nation of post
9-11 America with its two ongoing wars, for which, of course, we are not
all directly responsible, but in which we are complicit when we remain
silent or mouth corporate slogans. If you continue to think Facebook is
an innocent tool for some good clean college fun, well, I am afraid that
is really the absurd belief. Facebook is a mega-corporation striving to
reduce your brain to jelly. Twitter is following the same pathway, with
a particular focus on the erasure of historical consciousness and
dialectical thinking due to the nature of the abbreviated message. This
is the rule of the game, and those corporations are clearly of a piece
with liberal empire, precisely to the extent that they have been
developed according to the laws of the financialized economy. The only
decent thing to do is to revolt against the full system of domination.

Actually, we probably agree on most of what I said and there is no
personal animus in this message.

best,

Brian