[iDC] Next MobilityShifts Discussion

Caroline Buck cebuck23 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 00:38:40 UTC 2011

Dear IDCers,

It's been great so far getting our MobilityShifts discussions started,
and Rolf Hapel's introduction to the future of public libraries, to
which many of you have responded, has been quite fascinating. It's
interesting to see the different initiatives and ideas that have come
out of the topic, and the direction in which libraries are going as a
result of digital media and the information age. As many of you
pointed out, the changing role of libraries greatly impacts our
learning and interaction, and there are both positive and negative
components that come with this. I am intrigued to see how these ideas
play out further in a couple of months during the MobilityShifts
summit.

While I'm sure many of us have plenty more to say on this topic, and I
encourage you to continue your discussions, tomorrow Tania Perez
Bustos will lead our next discussion for a short time through this
list. While she already introduced herself to the list earlier, here
is some quick background for those of you who missed it, and to
refresh everyone's memory.

Tania is a feminist researcher from South America who focuses on how
gender dynamics perform science and technology popularization. Some of
her projects explore the role of gender in science and postcolonial
understanding of OLPC programs and its possibility in southern
countries, which is based off of work with groups of women involved in
free software communities in India and Colombia.

I will let Tania take it from here to expand on her ideas and
interests. In the meantime, we'll keep the discussion rolling!

Best wishes,
Caroline

Relevant Links:
http://bit.ly/iLJmCo