[iDC] The Future of the Humanities

Gabriella Coleman biella at nyu.edu
Sat Jul 9 14:47:59 UTC 2011

A little tangential but NSF is thinking of cutting their Social Science
research programs. David Brooks has a good op ed (which is very science
oriented but probably necessary for the audience he is trying to reach)

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/opinion/08brooks.html

All best,
Biella

On 07/09/2011 09:26 AM, Simon Biggs wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> The arts and humanities are under attack, especially in the UK where, other
> than Scotland, there has been a 100% cut to the government undergraduate
> teaching grant in all except STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering
> and medicine) and a tripling in student fees to make up the difference.
> Whilst STEM is ring-fenced by government policy the rest have to justify
> themselves in a now competitive market. Some institutions, without STEM
> programmes, now receive no government income for teaching. The subsequent
> instrumentalisation of arts, humanities and social sciences is no surprise.
>
> Here in Edinburgh, which will be affected by the changes south of the border
> but in as yet uncertain ways, we are trying to look beyond the arguably
> false dualities inherent in UK government HE policy. This September we have
> a new MSc by Research starting up in Interdisciplinary Creative Practice. It
> welcomes graduates from all subjects and we are keen to ensure a spread of
> students, from STEM, social sciences, arts and humanities as the mix will
> inform what the students can do together. It is its first year so we will
> see how it goes but recruitment has been promising.
>
> http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/finder/details.php?id=656
> http://ddm.ace.ed.ac.uk/ICP-info.html
>
> Best
>
> Simon
>

> On 06/06/2011 07:09, "Mark Marino" <markcmarino at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, IDC-ers,
>>
>> Last summer I met a computer scientist who shared with me his hierarchy of
>> knowledge.  In his schema, the sciences were at the top and all branches of
>> knowledge and learning in the academy fell underneath.   By his account, at
>> one time, due to a collective ignorance, much of knowledge was ordered under
>> the Humanities, but slowly over time that ice cap had been chipped away and
>> had floated off and melted into the larger sea of Science where it
>> belonged.  By his account medicine, astronomy, and many other realms of
>> knowledge had been relocated to their rightful place, leaving only certain
>> types of speculative philosophy, perhaps a few arts, and other trivial or
>> superfluous enterprises.
>>
>> I don't think this computer scientist was misrepresenting his perspective to
>> be provocative, though I do believe he knew exactly which of my buttons he
>> was pushing.  His pedestal for positivism was built upon a larger progress
>> narrative (that a humanities course might even critique).  Nonetheless, it
>> took a long coffee break with a philosophy librarian friend to pull me back
>> from the ledge or perhaps get me off the war path.
>>
>> In an age where very reasonable folks are questioning the value of a college
>> education, when the digital humanities seem to be flourishing, and when the
>> US and global economies are still flagging sending students into their most
> [...]

Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor
NYU, Department of Media, Culture, & Communication
On Leave 2010-2011, The Institute for Advanced Study
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/faculty_bios/view/Gabriella_Coleman