[iDC] Integration of Arts and Humanities in U.S. Universities...

davin heckman davinheckman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 00:03:02 UTC 2011

Education, in the US context, seems to have been, for a long time, the
only form of broadly acceptable social welfare.  And, if you look at
cold war spending on education, it was easily justifiable because it
fit with a military, industrial, and cultural mission (and the history
of Land-Grant colleges suggests that it goes beyond "showing the
commies," but that it is part of a long desire to build an American
culture that is independent from European identity).  Given our ideas
about classlessness and self-improvement, I think colleges are a more
attractive way to support the arts and humanities because there is
homework and grading and credentialing going on.  It's not just
sitting around thinking or making neat stuff.

But I am just guessing, really.

Davin