[iDC] The Future of the Humanities

Florian Cramer flrncrmr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:10:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Simon Biggs <simon at littlepig.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi Florian
>
> I assume when you say that practice based PhD's do not legally exist you are
> restricting your comments to certain countries.

Quickly: This commentary was only about the Netherlands.

> I accept your "bottom line" to some degree but would be cautious with the
> word "new". If new means the last few years then this is not the case in the
> UK where the practice based doctorate has been in development for over 20
> years.

The main cultural difference with U.S. arts and humanities remains
that the differentiation of "practice-based" vs. traditional Ph.D.s
does not exist, and that U.S. humanities integrate theory and
practice.

Florian

--
blog: http://en.pleintekst.nl