[iDC] Blake makes good point here. A parallel here with cities Re: Hackademia as ..

Saskia sassen sjs2 at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 27 09:16:33 UTC 2011

Blake makes good points...the whole sequence of ideas and suggested
readings this past 2 weeks has been great.

In the spirit of expanding the terrain where these dynamics are
present ......The question for me would be about the dialectical
interaction between the corporate grab and what it is seeking to grab
-- does the latter take it sitting or does it in turn get to hack the
corporate machine.

I see this dynamic in the case of smart cities, intelligent cities,
and such. My image is that the city talks back, it does not fully
submit to the logic of the technology. it does its own thing with it.
In short, it hacks the tech. I wonder if there are parallells with
higher ed and the public sphere.

here a couple of links about the City as Hacker of whatever
intelligent systems. short, simple pieces.Also a way of introducing
myself to the list ...so hope this is useful rather than too
much/irritating

Talking Back to your Intelligent City.
http://whatmatters.mckinseydigital.com/cities/talking-back-to-your-intelligent-city

Open-Source Urbanism
http://www.domusweb.it/en/op-ed/open-source-urbanism/

a good intv by Nicolas Nova of Lift: http://t.co/cZl1GnK

and here another version of it --how the city constrains superior
military power --also a kind of role for the city as hacker of a
superior technology.

When the city itself becomes a technology of war.
http://www.columbia.edu/~sjs2/PDFs/city_technology_of_war.pdf

saskia

Saskia Sassen
Robert S. Lynd Professor of Sociology