[iDC] Greetings from Fiume (Introduction)

janek sowa jan.sowa at ha.art.pl
Wed Jul 27 11:20:54 UTC 2011

Dear iDC Friends,

I wish I could have introduced myself earlier, but I’ve taken some time
off to travel in Southern Europe and it has kept me far from e-mail for
some time now. I’m currently in Rijeka, Croatia – a city some of you may
remember from Hakim Bay’s “Temporary Autonomous Zone” where it appears
as Fiume (its Italian name). It was here that general Gabriele
D'Annunzio established an independent enclave after the first world war
and made music its first and main organizational principle
(http://hermetic.com/bey/taz3.html#labelMusic). It’s just an ordinary
city nowadays, though quite nice.

A few words about myself: I was born in 1976 and I studied literature,
psychology and philosophy at the Jagiellonian University Kraków, Poland
and University Paris 8 in Saint-Denis. I did my MSc in cognitive
psycholinguistics in 2001 and PhD in sociology in 2006. I am assistant
professor at the Faculty of Social Communication of the Jagiellonian
University, where I teach Marxism and critical theory as a part of
cultural studies curriculum. Before becoming academic I worked as
journalist in Polish Public Radio and curator in CCA “Bunkier Sztuki” in
Kraków. I published almost 100 texts both in Poland and abroad. My most
recent publication abroad was an article I co-authored “/L’événementdans
la chambre froide: le carnival de Solidarność”/ that appeared in
“/L’idée du Communisme, II” /edited by Alain Badiou and Slavoj Žižek
(Nouvelles Éditions Lignes, Paris 2011; the book was a follow-up to the
conference “/The Idea of Communism. Philosophy and Art”/ that took place
in Berlin in June last year).

Apart from teaching and doing academic research I’ve been engaged in
several other projects in the last few years, the most important one
being establishment and development of Free/Slow University Warsaw
(Wolny Uniwersytet Warszawy) and this is the reason I was invited to
take part in Mobility Shifts this fall. FSUW is a nomadic
quasi-institution based on a (post)operaist notion of co-research
(/conricerca/) and DIY learning. It was inspired by the ideas of Ivan
Illich (we published a new Polish translation of his “/Deschooling
Society”/ and took part in a conference under the same name in London
last year:
http://www.serpentinegallery.org/2010/02/conference_deschooling_society.html),
Jacques Rancière, Joseph Beuys and Italian (post)operaismo as well as
the tradition of clandestine, self-organised teaching/learning practiced
by generations of Polish political activists and freedom fighters in
19th and 20th century. I’ll talk more about it in October; in the
meantime I encourage you to take a look at FSUW website
(http://www.wuw2010.pl/index.php?lang=eng; you’ll find there a text I
wrote for the Polish edition of EIPCP “European Cultural Politics 2015”
that sums up my experience with organisational activity on the verge of
art and social activism: http://www.wuw2010.pl/raport.php?lang=eng#JanS).

I hope to be back home in mid-August and I’ll get back to you on iDC
list to tell you more about a research project we are currently
developing as a part of FSUW. It focuses on mechanisms of evaluation and
value creation in the sphere of immaterial production (we are exploring
in parallel the domains of artistic creation and knowledge production as
these are the fields most of us are professionally linked to; we also
believe it’s important – both theoretically and politically – to develop
a conceptual approach that could encompass these two domains crucial to
functioning of cognitive capitalism).

Best!

-janek sowa