[iDC] Hackademia as New Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere

Blake Stimson blakestimson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:33:30 UTC 2011

Dear Anya,

Thank you for  your response. I think we are in agreement about the good intentions of many of the individuals involved in the development of DIY educational models (incl most of the initiatives represented on this list) and about the individual and socially enriching potential of many such models. We are also in agreement about the profit model--I did not suggest that it be used on its own as a litmus test.

Let me try to make my point clear.

My concern was with "aggressive" business practices and the three examples were presented as a range--from Gates's support of Khan (characterized as "seemingly mixed" not, as you say, "identical") to Lebed's targeting the huge collective nest egg of college savings (as "truly scary").

In order to fully appreciate the range from mixed to scary of these well-funded, well-organized initiatives we need to first consider the idea of education they are proffering. Phoenix and Kaplan don't apply directly because they are institutional rather than DIY models but Phoenix-founder John Sperling summed up the shared educational philosophy nicely when he said “Coming here is not a rite of passage. We are not trying to develop value systems or go in for that ‘expand their minds’” nonsense. That is to say, there is no civic-minded mission of training citizens as citizens or humanist mission of human development that are the cornerstones of the liberal educational ideal. The Khan/Gates collaboration is mixed, for sure, but it is the product of two businessmen and, as far as I can tell, they both think about and implement the process of skill acquisition in the instrumental way of businessmen. That is, there is none of the "expand their minds nonsense" that is the foundation of our civil-social, political, and cultural heritage but instead a vocational, train-for-the-test, bottom-line approach. This becomes brutally so in the Lebed video.

In sum, the "iCollege" notion privatizes not simply because it is a for-profit model but because it turns education into a consumer good and students into consumers. What drops out in the process is the liberal idea of education as the public exchange and public development of ideas and what ends up in its place is the vocational idea of the market as the private exercise of entrepreneurial initiative and the private exchange of consumer goods.

Of course, this is not the case for many DIY initiatives--The Public School comes to mind as just one of many such initiatives, or we might just point to Wikipedia or the original, now-rapidly-diminishing "open-source" promise of the web itself--that operate on the principle that the accumulation of knowledge and the exercise of reason is, first and foremost, both part and promise of the commons. Something similar could be said of this email list.

Blake