[iDC] Why Parents Help Children Violate Facebook’s 13+ Rule

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at uti.at
Fri Nov 4 21:32:24 UTC 2011

I also read this article and can only agree with Mark and support his
criticism.

The crucial question (Table 13) only talks about government involvement
in setting age limits, there is no talk about targeted advertising,
company practices, political economy, capitalism, etc - the question
formulation is manipulative and is framed by liberal ideology that stirs
sentiments against government intervention and ignores (as in the whole
study) political economy, advertising culture, and capitalism.

No surprise the only conclusion is "but the key to helping children and
their parents enjoy the benefits of those solutions is to abandon
age–based mechanisms that inadvertently result in limiting children’s
options for online access".

No questioning of the corporate character of social media, etc etc.
There was once a guy called Lazarsfeld making a distinction between
administrative and critical communication research... This is just
another study about social media in the whole vast universe of
administrative social media research output... Such studies are not only
adminstrative, they are so extremly lacking any theory skills and are
only boring.

Best, CF