[iDC] iDC Digest, Vol 79, Issue 4

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Sat Sep 3 15:18:12 UTC 2011

I've not been following this thread but this email jumped out.

Surely India has been one of the world's most sophisticated and continuous of literate cultures, along with China. India and China were literate thousands of years before Britain existed as an idea, much less as an empire. However, this notion of literacy evokes a very narrow conception of what it is and what it can be. You might want to look at this:

Garcia, O (2006) with Bartlett and Kleifgen; From biliteracy to pluriliteracies, in Handbook of Applied Linguistics on Multilingual Communication, Mouton.

also at:

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/faculty/kleifgen/tech_n_lit/pluriliteraciesfinal.pdf

best

Simon