[iDC] Decoding Digital Outcasts: Reflection 2

John Sobol soboltalk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 18:50:08 UTC 2011

Nishant,

as provocative as my last post was it does not seem to have caused this list
- or anyone's computer - to erupt in flames, so I will take the liberty of
responding once again, this time to your 2nd reflection. I suspect that this
one may not escape as unscarred. Still, truth will out, as they say. Or at
least I hope it will. So...

Literate culture, especially as practiced within academia, engages in
discourse only with itself. One result is that discourses that are not
validated by literate epistemology are ignored or downgraded. This happens
despite the belief by post-modernist professors that they are doing the
opposite, i.e. accommodating difference. Whereas in fact what literate
culture has always done is exclude non-literate ways of knowing, not least
when it is critically theorizing them right out of existence. And this
explains how it is possible that you can say things like "It is assumed that
there are only a few kinds of digitalities that exist in the world. " and
"Because everybody seems to be using the same kind of platforms and gadgets
across the world, we presume that they must be doing the same kind of
things." Whereas both these statements appear to me to be profoundly and
obviously untrue. Certainly, of the thousands of conversations I have had
about the web with street kids, CEOs, mayors, my mom, my kids, my
neighbours, my clients, journalists, business consultants, community
activists, authors, musicians, programmers and more over the past 15 years,
not ONE of them has ever said anything remotely like this. On the contrary,
the widespread opinion has been that there are a great many ways of being
digital and that there are so many new possibilities and gadgets and tools
that the range of possible behaviours online is overwhelmingly open-ended
and constantly evolving.

In my opinion, the only place these statements are 'true' is in the academic
literate discourses you use as your reference point (for vocabulary,
authority, validation, financing, etc.), where the extreme normalizing
pressures of the hyperliterate academic epistemology have reduced all of
this diversity to the narrow portrait you have offered, which is a strawman
that can then be carefully deposed by advancing the Digital Outcast persona
to achieve incremental theoretical results that change absolutely nothing in
the real world. And this is not being done maliciously, I know that. Any
more than this commentary of mine is malicious. On the contrary, we both
have the best of intentions I am sure. Nonetheless, battling this strawman
is in my opinion ineffective and unproductive.

You say "However, the digital outcast refuses to be accounted by either of
these positions. It is neither a success story of somebody who has
actualised the transformative potentials of technology, nor is it somebody
who just needs to be included in the narrative of technologised
development."

But again, have *you* "actualized the transformative potential of
technology?" Have I? Has my mom? I don't think these words mean anything
definitive at all. This sort of language founders very quickly on the rocks
of practice.

-

Your discussion about the politics of media in India, obviously much more
informed than any analysis of mine could be, is very much of interest to me.
In my new book I write about the current relevance of Gandhi's* *practical*
*philosophy of a sustainable relationship-based ethical village economy
independent of top-down colonial imperatives (*swadeshi) *in terms of its
power to inform the development of a sustainable and ethical global village
economy today. I believe that the points you are making about the past
usefulness of broadcast media to support Indian state authority and the
emerging usefulness of digital networks to create peer-to-peer social
alternatives is both very accurate and very directly supports my contention
that the true colonizer has been literate culture, of which monological
electronic media like books, radio and TV are all a part, and that the
Indian challenge today is to resist the further predatory depradations of
literate culture while building productive alliances between oral and
digital natives in pursuit of an independent and sustainable future.

Please forgive me if my comments are seen as aggressive or disrespectful.
They are not meant to be. But I believe that there is too much at stake
today to spend our time debating literate minutiae. The world is dying
before our very eyes and there is a lot of work to be done if we are to save
it - and ourselves along the way. What matters, in my opinion, is building
practical bridges between oral and digital dialogical cultures that share
common values. For what it's worth, that is what my book is about.

Regards,
John Sobol
-
www.youareyourmedia.com