[iDC] Can DIY education be crowdsourced?

John Bell john at novomancy.org
Tue Sep 6 16:13:01 UTC 2011

Yes, I think identifying and distinguishing types of peers is an important aspect of the kind of system I'm talking about.  The part that's problematic is--without falling back on external validation like degrees and academic positions--figuring out which people are which type, and what the scope of the types are.  For example, I just did something similar for a proposal as part of the Mozilla+Journalism project where I was trying to identify commenters with expertise in different fields so they could add annotation to mass media articles.  In that system a commenter could claim a level of expertise when they made a comment and a trust metric would adjust their long-term credibility based on how other users rate that comment.  It's a refinement of the old Slashdot karma model, but one that seems useful in this situation.

(http://www.nmdjohn.com/2011/08/05/moznewslab-week-4-pitching-reposte/ if anybody is curious.)

But I think there are limits to how much participation can be incentivized without ending up back at cash, which I suspect introduces its own problems.  Look at the situation with Wikipedia where they rewarded participation by turning users into bureaucrats, creating a system that's often accused of being petty and detrimental to the health of the project.  Amazon's biggest reviewer is widely regarded as untrustworthy by people who know who she is, writing reviews of books that she clearly hasn't read (those who don't recognize her of course don't know this, and Amazon doesn't expose enough information for casual users to reach that conclusion on their own).

So the question I'm left with is how to create incentives that go beyond status in the internal community.  Can external incentives be used without creating the equivalent of Warcraft gold farmers?  What would they be?

- John