[iDC] Can DIY education be crowdsourced?

John Bell john at novomancy.org
Wed Sep 7 15:42:41 UTC 2011

Yes, I think that the idea of learning coming through participation in a community is absolutely critical for any large scale system.  I've often said that the most important and useful forum on any message board is the off-topic forum because that's where all the people who come together for a specific purpose start talking about everything that they don't have in common.  I've seen the same thing in academic settings as well.  When I was an undergrad at the University of Maine there was a BBS that contained conferences for all of the classes, but the part that really created a online community was the "after hours" conference where everybody got together and just talked.  It's worth noting that when the administration insisted that this conference be tamed the BBS effectively died as a community center and became a place where students only begrudging went to pick up their assignments.  (The rise of Facebook didn't help either, but that took place after it had been in decline for a few years.)

It's also not a problem that's limited to big-E-Education, but to other learning situations.  If the viewer of a media outlet learns about the world by listening to their news stories but never watches any other sources then that's much like a student who only goes to one class and never interacts with anybody in any other classes.  Online environments encourage this kind of behavior because they both provide a high enough volume of information to saturate/satiate users and are self-selected, allowing the user to get by for a very long time without ever truly being challenged.  I think that any kind of large-scale system of the type I'm talking about would have to take this into account and build in open, even adversarial, discussion on diverse topics as a primary mechanism of learning.

- John