No subject

Fri Sep 2 15:00:58 UTC 2011

universities it does what it is supposed to - i.e. produce literate people
and knowledge according to literate criteria - and it does so both in the
humanities and in the sciences, in pursuit of beauty and truth as well as
military power and corporate profit. But all within a common culture that
defines knowledge as fixed and objectively measurable as well as ownable,
assignable, reproduceable, etc.

Knowledge in the oral and digital worlds is not defined in the same way but
rather according to profoundly different standards. And it is that
epistemological chasm that is the real source of the crisis in our
universities imo.

John

--
www.youareyourmedia.com

--bcaec520f439ab036704addccf49

I don't think that sharing or nepotism are human nature. I think they a=
re the product of a specific human culture rooted in the technology of the =
human voice. That is to say that they are both endemic to all oral cultures=
 whereas they are both marginalized or blatantly excluded from literate cul=
tures. And they are endemic to oral cultures for very specific technologica=
l reasons. (I wrote about nepotism in a recent blog post here: <a href=3D"h=
ttp://wp.me/p1OhjG-5Q">http://wp.me/p1OhjG-5Q</a> and gitfting/sharing in a=
nother one here: <a href=3D"http://wp.me/p1OhjG-2r">http://wp.me/p1OhjG-2r<=
/a>) They can also both be found in digital cultures. And this shared value=
set is due to the common dialogical character of both oral and digital cult=
ure. Which exists in contrast to the monological systems and values that de=
fine literate culture, of which universities are a key pillar.<br>
universities it does what it is supposed to - i.e. produce literate people =
and knowledge according to literate criteria - and it does so both in the h=
umanities and in the sciences, in pursuit of beauty and truth as well as mi=
litary power and corporate profit. But all within a common culture that def=
ines knowledge as fixed and objectively measurable as well as ownable, assi=
gnable, reproduceable, etc.<br>
 but rather according to profoundly different standards. And it is that epi=
stemological chasm that is the real source of the crisis in our universitie=
s imo.<br>
yourmedia.com</a><br>

--bcaec520f439ab036704addccf49--