[iDC] Hyperemployed or Feminized Labor?

Alice E. Marwick amarwick at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 22:54:10 UTC 2013

Hi Karen,

This is a wonderful post, and dovetails with much mainstream feminist
criticism of the labor of "household management" that even
upper-middle-class women who avoid the "second shift" of housework
through maids and nannies (another form of feminized, often
quasi-legal and definitely exploitive employment) cannot avoid. In
other words, that the labor of keeping the household going, not only
by doing the work of the household (washing clothes or cooking meals)
but by managing the household, takes up valuable mental space for
women that many men are able to avoid.

See: http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/03/the-difference-between-a-happy-marriage-and-miserable-one-chores/273615/

However, the sociologists who studied this referred to this as "mental
labor." Certainly the distinction between "employment" and "care" does
not presume, I believe, that employment does not require the type of
"emotional labor" that Arlie Hochschild described. I, personally,
prefer "labor" over "employment" because, as you point out, women (and
plenty of men as well) have always performed unpaid labor that is not
considered employment, but I think there are more similarities between
the histories you describe than differences.

To Ian's comment:

>we can better depict the present circumstances in a manner
> that those who aren't already convinced of its troublesome nature might
> appreciate.

Yes. I do think that I, personally, would love to see gender (&
race/sexuality/ability) issues placed more centrally at the heart of
digital labor discussions. For instance, in Jared Lanier's last book
he argues that people should be able to own the fruit of their online
labors. This is all well and good, but it ignores the fact that the
market values certain commodified representations over others-- for
example, the most lucrative representations for young women will be
sexualized, if not pornographic.

----

In another topic, Karen, on your blog post you say that the New School
is holding a digital labor event in November, but I can find no
information about it online.  Trebor, can you chime in?

Best,
Alice

--
Alice E. Marwick, PhD