[iDC] Hyperemployed or Feminized Labor?

Davin Heckman davinheckman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 04:00:39 UTC 2013

To me, exploitation evokes taking something, while hyperemployment conjures
up an ironic sense of 'making do' (great article, by the way). I tried very
hard to dig into these concerns with my dissertation, which, among other
things, deals at some point with the shift in home tech from labor-saving
tools to consumer-oriented tech (which is also a shift in the gendering of
household spaces) and a shift from an implicit recognition of the daily
grind to a focus on managing the 'everyday'....
Davin

Monday, November 18, 2013, Ian Bogost <ian.bogost at lmc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2013, at 1:01 AM, Mark Andrejevic <markbandrejevic at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Having said that, I'd be interested in seeing more argument/evidence
backing up the claim that the notion of hyperemployment might be more
likely to gain critical purchase than that of exploitation (because the
latter sounds so retro-Marxist?) or hyperexploitation
(retro-Baudrillardian?). Is this because of the way the term fits into the
chain of associations with "unemployment, underemployment and
overemployment"? Because the notion of employment carries with it
associations of "being used"? Because it taps into a sense of fatigue and
overwork rather than with threateningly radical political claims?

> I don't know either, yet, but my short answer to your
hopefully-not-rhetorical questions is "yes."

> That said, I've given some further thought to Karen and Trebor's shared
comment:

>> What I am curious about, however, is the use of the term
“hyperemployment.” As Trebor suggested, the term is contradictory for
workers who are refused the designation of “employee.”

> … and I just don't see the problem. By this logic, "unemployment" is
contradictory for workers who are not employed. Thus the modification
offered by a prefix, which refers to the *domain* of employment.