[iDC] Introduction

Jathan Sadowski jathansadowski1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 17:18:02 UTC 2014

Hi Everybody — sorry for the very late introduction.

I'm a PhD student in the "Human and Social Dimensions of Science and
Technology"—just another name for Science & Technology Studies (STS)—at
Arizona State University. My program is situated within a kind of hybrid
think tank and university research center called the *Consortium for
Science, Policy & Outcomes* <http://cspo.org/>. I'm also affiliated with
the *Center for Nanotechnology in Society* <http://cns.asu.edu/> and
the *Frankenstein
Bicentennial Project* <http://frankenstein.asu.edu/>, both of which are
also based at ASU.

Broadly speaking, my research and writing focuses on the ethics, social
justice, political economy, and theory of technology. More narrowly, I'm
writing a dissertation on "smart cities" — specifically, I'll be describing
the discourses around them, giving a critical analysis of the
social/political/economic issues thereof, and advancing a theory called
"cyborg urbanization," which looks at the interfaces among
body-technology-city.

In addition to the usual academic publishing—here's a plug for a recently
published article of mine: "Creating a Taxonomic Tool for Technocracy and
Applying It to Silicon Valley
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2448338>"— I'm a
freelance writer of commentary and criticism about these broad topics for a
wide range of public outlets. You can find my work in the following: *The
Atlantic <http://www.theatlantic.com/jathan-sadowski/>; Slate
<http://www.slate.com/authors.jathan_sadowski.html>; Wired
<https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=jathan+sadowski+wired&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls>;
Al Jazeera America
<http://america.aljazeera.com/profiles/s/jathan-sadowski.html>; Dissent
<http://www.dissentmagazine.org/author/jathan-sadowsi>; The New Inquiry
<http://thenewinquiry.com/author/jathan-sadowski/>; LA Review of Books
<http://lareviewofbooks.org/contributor/jathan-sadowski>. *I'm also on
twitter: @jathansadowski. <https://twitter.com/jathansadowski>

I'm looking forward to the conference, everything sounds so interesting!

My talk is titled, "*From Mega-Machines to Mega-Algorithms: Digitization,
Datification, and Dividualization.*" In short, the critic Lewis Mumford
described a prevalent form of organization he called “mega-machines”: giant
sociotechnical mechanisms—with humans acting like the cogs in a
machine—that used authority, hierarchy, and bureaucracy to structure,
organize, and control people. Mumford’s insights are still relevant, but
need some updating. In the time of networked computing and smart
technologies, what I call the “mega-algorithm” is taking over, with people
acting as information nodes, inputs, and outputs. People are atomized by
digital tech and blown apart into streams of data fed into processors. They
provide productive labor, and are incorporated into the mega-algorithm,
just by existing on the network. The logic of the system is to create,
collect, and extract value from data wherever possible.

Best,

Jathan Sadowski

Jathan Sadowski

– PhD student in the Human and Social Dimensions of Science and Technology
– Consortium for Science, Policy & Outcomes
– Frankenstein Bicentennial Project | 1818 - 2018
– Center for Nanotechnology in Society
– Arizona State University
– Twitter: @jathansadowski <https://twitter.com/jathansadowski>
– Writing: *The Atlantic <http://www.theatlantic.com/jathan-sadowski/>;