[iDC] Days of the Commune and some rarely screened films

Zoe Beloff zoe at zoebeloff.com
Sat Jul 19 16:18:04 UTC 2014

In 2012 I organized street performances of Bertolt Brecht's play "The Days of the Commune" in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street. We thought of it less as an evocation of the past and more as a rehearsal of a commune yet to come.

Today, years later Participant Galley in New York is putting on an exhibition based on those performances. More importantly the gallery will be screening some rarely shown films relating to the theme of the show on Sunday evenings. They are "History Lessons" by Jean Marie Straub and Danielle Huillet 1972 based on a short story by Brecht called The Business Deals of Mr Julius Caesar.  "The New Babylon"  an amazing melodrama set in the Paris Commune by	Grigori Kozintsev and Leonid Traiberg 1929 and "Kuhle Wampe" 1932 by Slatan Dude and Bertolt Brecht. I recommend them.

Zoe Beloff

Sent from my iPhone