[iDC] Introduction (at the last minute)

Luke Stark luke.stark at nyu.edu
Tue Nov 11 02:49:45 UTC 2014

Hi all!

I’m not going to claim to have saved the best introduction for last (procrastination, as many of you know, is a harsh taskmaster). I’m a doctoral candidate in the Department of Media, Culture, and Communication at New York University under the supervision of Helen Nissenbaum. My dissertation project, “Self-Managed Feeling: Psychology and Interaction Design from Smartphones to the Anxious Seat,” explores how digital and analog media techniques and technologies have been developed and adapted to track everyday emotions. I look at self-help books, psychometric tests, and smartphone apps, and how these objects are mobilized to shape subjectivity and support systems of power and labor.

Most of my work focuses on affect, emotion, and digital media, but I’m also generally interested in the changing nature of human subjectivity in the computational age (for instance, I’m quite involved in online privacy scholarship). I’m currently working on a project with Alex Rosenblat of the Data & Society Institute exploring the working conditions and affective labor of Uber drivers in New York City. We’ve been generously funded in this work by Microsoft’s FUSE Lab.

I’d love to chat with anyone at the conference interested in these thorny questions (or really, anything else). So send me an email, or a tweet, or just corner me in a hallway - I’m looking forward to it.

See you soon!

Luke

Luke Stark
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Media, Culture, and Communication

The Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
New York University
239 Greene Street, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10003

tel: (1) 646.530.0400