[iDC] Introduction

Miya Tokumitsu tokumitsumiya at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 19:22:11 UTC 2014

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Miya Tokumitsu. I earned my PhD in art history from the
University of Pennsylvania in 2012. While my primary field of research is
Renaissance and Baroque art in Europe, I've also developed a secondary
interest in labor culture, particularly the aesthetics of labor in the
popular media/imagination. To that end, I wrote "In the Name of Love," for
*Jacobin, *which takes a skeptical view of that ubiquitous chestnut, "do
what you love." I've also recently joined *Jacobin *as a contributing
editor.

At the conference, I'll be speaking about how aspirational labor and
affective labor play out in the digital realm. I'm especially interested in
how brands and cultural institutions use social media--not only to
advertise their products and events but also to present specific images of
work at these institutions.

I look forward to meeting many of you in New York next month.

Best wishes,
Miya