[iDC] hello #dl14

T.L. Cowan cowant at newschool.edu
Thu Sep 18 15:18:17 UTC 2014

Hello #dl14

My name is T.L. Cowan and I teach at the New School, both at Eugene Lang
College (in Culture & Media, Integrated Arts and Gender Studies) and in the
School of Media Studies, where I am the FemTechNet Chair of Experimental
Pedagogies. I'm excited to see you all here in a couple of months.

I'll be presenting as part of the "Research and Practice on Feminist /
Feminized Digital Labor" Long Table discussion with several colleagues from
The New School.

My main research focus these days is on the trans- feminist and queer
cultural and intellectual economies and social lives, and I have published
several recent articles on this topic: “The Labour of Being Studied in a
Free Love Economy.” (with Jasmine Rault) in *ephemera *(2014)
http://www.ephemerajournal.org/contribution/labour-being-studied-free-love-economy
and
“Speculative Praxis Towards a Queer Feminist Anti-Archive: A Collaborative
Research-Creation Project.” (with Jasmine Rault & Dayna McLeod) in *Ada: a
Journal of Gender, New Media & Technology *(2014). doi:10.7264/N3PZ573Z
<http://dx.doi.org/10.7264/N3PZ573Z>. These two articles reflect what I'm
thinking about digital labour these days...

By training, I'm an interdisciplinary scholar (practicing what I call
critical interdisciplinarity in my research, writing and teaching) across
literary, performance and cultural studies and I work mostly with cabaret
performance and cultural economies, right now finishing up a book that is a
revised version of my dissertation called *Poetry's Bastard: The
Illegitimate Geneaologies, Cultures, and Politics of Text-Based Performance
in Canada* while also developing a new book project, provisionally entitled
"Sliding Scale: *The Cultural Economies of Trans- Feminist and Queer
Cabaret - Montreal, Mexico City & New York City." *I am also working with
Jasmine Rault and Dayna McLeod on a collaborative research-creation project
called the Cabaret Commons
<http://www.cwrc.ca/projects/the-caberet-commons/>: a user-generated
digital archive and gossip rag for grass-roots queer and feminist artists,
audiences and researchers. We are preempting the creation of this archive
through a project/process we're calling "Feeling Speculative in Digital
Space." Over the course of the next year or so, we'll be doing some utopic
imagining for a digital space that is informed by trans- feminist and queer
ways of knowing, being, and making.

And I work with FemTechNet (the Feminist Technology Network) developing
cyberfeminist approaches to online education and connecting with other
digital pedagogical publics.

Oh, and I'm a performance artist and writer and I co-edit the Helix
Critical Project (http://helixqpn.tumblr.com/criticism), which is a blog
dedicated to cultivating better critical dialogue about contemporary queer
performance.

Looking forward to meeting you all and finding out what you're up to.

See you in November,
tl

(tlcowan.net)

--
Dr. T.L. Cowan
FemTechNet Chair of Experimental Pedagogies,
Email - cowant at newschool.edu
Web - tlcowan.net