[iDC] Introduction

Tom Buechele tbuechele30 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 23:10:38 UTC 2014

Greeting Conference List,

My name is Tom Buechele
<https://digitallabor.commons.gc.cuny.edu/tom-buechele/>. I am a doctoral
candidate in Sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center and Research Fellow at
the Center for the Study of Culture, Technology and Work
<http://csctw.commons.gc.cuny.edu/>. I am a co-founder and member of the CUNY
Digital Labor Working Group
<https://digitallabor.commons.gc.cuny.edu/> with Karen
Gregory <https://digitallabor.commons.gc.cuny.edu/karen-gregory/>, Kara Van
Cleaf  <https://digitallabor.commons.gc.cuny.edu/kara-van-cleaf/>and Andrew
McKinney <https://digitallabor.commons.gc.cuny.edu/andrew-mckinney/>. I
also teach Social Theory at Hunter College and Cultural Studies at Pratt
Institute. (I'm also, like many of us, overworked
<https://digitallabor.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2013/11/17/hyperemployed-or-feminized-labor/>
).

I'm interested in the ways digital technologies work to both intensify, but
also possibly counter (though perhaps more often not), productivist
ideologies of subjectivity and (neo)liberal individualism. At that, through
a rhythmanalysis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythmanalysis> that seeks
to tease out the tensions of multilayered and contradictory temporaries in
everyday life, I'd like to explore anxiety and depression as individuated
symptoms of productivist (neo)liberal individualism, i.e. the generalized
affects of Post-Fordist capitalism. I'm also generally interested in the
ways digital technology transforms the experience of space, time, and
knowledge. For instance, how do the technologies of "big data" transform,
or create, tensions within the philosophical conception, and lived
experience, of subjectivity (particularly, though not exclusively, those
coming from the "Western/Hegelian Marxist" and
Heideggerian/Phenomenological Frameworks)?

The Digital Labor Working Group along with Joshua Scannell
<https://paradigm.presswarehouse.com/books/contribDetail.aspx?id=20156>will
be presenting at a roundtable entitled “The Place, Politics, and Function
of Measure” where I will function as a respondent.

See you then!