[iDC] Re : Re: Ello--Alternative to Facebook

Antonio Casilli antonio.casilli at telecom-paristech.fr
Fri Sep 26 03:13:54 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

There's been quite a bit of back-and-forth about Ello's murky personal data policy on Twitter, and of course the discussion is raging in other mailing lists.

Also, I bumped into this first-person account dealing with a specific aspect—Ello's privacy settings, or lack thereof. http://notyourexrotic.tumblr.com/post/98292236476/goodbye-ello-privacy-safety-and-why-ello-makes-me

> "I originally wrote this as my goodbye post on Ello, a new social network that has taken my queer/POC/performer/activist circles by storm due to
> Facebook’s crackdown on names. Feel free to share.
> I know many of you joined Ello due to Facebook’s real name policy, which has shown to be a great risk to performers, trans people, and others who
> do not reveal their legal name for security or personal identity reasons. And everyone’s super fond of Ello now because they promise not to sell your
> information to advertisers.
> However, there are specific elements of Ello’s privacy settings, deliberately designed, that make Ello actually way more unsafe than Facebook,
> Twitter, or other social media outlets and CMSes. And in our rush to embrace a Facebook replacement we need to be aware of what we are at risk for
> when using Ello.
> Ello deliberately does not have any sort of personal privacy settings, and it does not have any sort of features to block or report individuals, nor any
> way to consent to being followed."

Don't miss the interesting updates at the end. They instantiate the social process my co-author Paola Tubaro and myself call "privacy as negotiation". Paola discusses it here: http://www.discoversociety.org/2014/02/15/why-online-privacy-is-not-dead-negotiation-and-conflict-in-social-media/.
Cheers,
---a

--
Antonio A. Casilli