[thingist] the thing with the thing

Caspar Stracke kasbah at thing.net
Wed Jul 14 13:42:49 UTC 2010

Hello everybody,

OK guys, two options:
We either dive 4500 ft deep and put a plug on The Thing, which is
currently polluting the ocean, OR we have to start building a new platform!

(for the new listeners all initial posts before thingist below...)

Thanks for all the necessary, detailed additions, explanations and
corrections, W!

Wolfgang carries my question on /how ///to continue a more existential
level by adding .../why /to continue?
So far most reactions point towards the decision of closing the blog.

My point in first place was a very practical one: To make a decent
appearance of the archive,
BUT at the same time remain some kind of pilot flame burning.

Inevitably I opened a can of worms here..especially since everything
points back to the good old days.

As for considering new concepts / projects - GH I  very much like your
idea to introduce a featured artist page.
I am a big fan of VVORK - for being such a radically simple (mainly)
emerging art collection, image only,
No text (just names and links)  a vitalizing refreshing tool
for arts/culture academics who constantly OD on art criticism.
I could imagine some curatorial ping pong concept, designed in a similar
simplicity, image only, nonetheless with option for comments / responses.

GH, you add in the end:
> Personally I think it would be more effective and have a certain
> gossip/shock value if you start with a new project that is all about
> energy and doesn't rest on any historical reference to previous faded
> glory.
On which I disagree. It's not that there is a fresh new project in place
here and somebody wants to built upon an existing and well-respected
network/platform.
It's rather the opposite  - making something out of the existing network
itself.

Speaking of "building upon" and to continue W's and my list of where
THING activities have evolved  - only look at this John Hershend guy and
THE THING MONTHLY  that has now completely hijacked the name even for
events in NY:

"Join us in NY on Friday, May 14th for the Public Release of Starlee's
Kine's issue 10 of THE THING. Starlee Kine and friends will be on hand
offering onion-cutting demonstrations (using her issue as the cutting
board),... Housing Works Bookstore Café 7:00-8:30PM,  126 Crosby Street,
NYC 10012"

No silly finger pointing intended maybe I just want to  I add a drip of
(gulf) oil into the fire...

Re: Facebook links and interaction with social media
absolutely not necessary  in my opinion. A Facebook antidote?  Despite
debates on privacy, I dont really understand the big fuss here. What has
one to do with the other?
People come to fb to giggle with (or at) their friends or -as some THING
members- becoming friends with Paul the octopus. That's it.

So...any more thoughts on GH's proposal of a dedicated featured artists
project idea?

©