[thingist] Another social network is possible

w w at thing.net
Wed Jan 4 10:27:38 UTC 2023

Happy New Year everyone!

This will be a year of changes for THE THING, as we are planning to
revamp the whole organization and refocus on its original mission.
At its core, THE THING remains a social network.  So it almost felt
serendipitous when I first came across this essay (see link below) by
Geert Lovink, since it touches on many of the issues that came up when
we discussed possible ways forward at our last board meeting.  If you
can ignore the fancy pants neologisms, you will find a lot of inspiring
ideas in the text.  Even Dunbar makes an appearance.

Please feel free to comment on the list.

Hasta la vista,

Wolfgang

---

Another social network is possible

A draft essay, written by Harry Halpin and Geert Lovink on work done by
French philosopher Bernard Stiegler (via nettime).

https://networkcultures.org/geert/2022/12/28/harry-halpin-geert-lovink-another-social-network-is-possible-on-bernard-stiegler-and-the-social-media-question/

Harry Halpin & Geert Lovink: Another Social Network is Possible!–On
Bernard Stiegler and the Social Media Question

In this tribute to Bernard Stiegler, we highlight an obscure yet
important episode in his work: Stiegler’s contribution to the debate on
the future of social media. This theoretical and technical work was
done at the Institut de la Recherche et l’Innovation, the World Wide
Web Consortium and the Unlike Us network in the period 2011-2014. As
demonstrated by tracing Facebook’s lineage to a reading of the concept
of mimesis from Girard by Thiel, already then the toxic influence of
Facebook on the mental condition of young users was known. In contrast,
Stiegler’s work quickly focused on alternative architectures and the
development of new concepts: Another social network is possible.