[mapping] Suggestions from Artur Matuck > São Paulo, Brazil

Artur Matuck arturmatuck at terra.com.br
Fri Dec 17 22:45:01 EST 2004

Dear Friends from New York and São Paulo

I would like to enter the discussion just to let you know I am listening,
but also to propose directions, names, workshops, conferences.

First of all, I sense there is a lot of knowledge we in SP would need to acquire before trying to draw a careful plan of action. Our group in São Paulo should organize a workshop in which a small number of basic texts are read and discussed.

As a organizer of tele-events I would suggest one or two conferences with the people from New York (are you guys in New York City ??) so we can get a sense of who we are, who are we becoming ? Maybe we should have a name ourselves, not only the project.

I like SPMAP unwillingly suggested by Mila because it affirms itself as a map although SubmaP is also great but it may concede that is not the real map. SPMAP may suggest that what we are doing is really THE map of São Paulo. Once we have decided on a name we should register asap.
INTERSP could be a good suggestion since this map is processual, interative, internationally made.

Regarding videoconferences they are now feasible through Access Grid an international consortium. I have contacts at USP (univ. of são paulo) that could provide thge means and thus if City Univ. of New York (CUNY) also is in Access Grid the deal is done.

Actually I would like to experiment with an horizontal platform for videoconferencing, something that I have designed within the Interpresence Project as some of you brazilians know well. This could be an opportunity since city maps are mostly horizontal.

Regarding milestones or hands on I would suggest an order:
1. SP workshop on former projects and a distributed basic reading list
(produce a translation to Portuguese of basic readings)
(check on spanish translations, since we can read spanish also)

2. videoconferences
lets get to know each other better
lets hear what we have to say
lets meet and have some fun
lets talk about collective endeavors in the arts, media, politics

3. Designing a meta-project for São Paulo

A meta-project is a detailed project that could be implemented gradually in other parts of the city.
While we produce a map we should be also producing a project on how to do those maps. Actually it would something very consequential to have a small scale experiment in são Paulo that would generate a book in Portuguese on how the project could be continued and expanded.

4. Starting a map of SP Center or Centro or a more acessible neighboorhood like Barra Funda.

Again I would put emphasis on creating a project before or while.

We should research before doing. While we research, while we do, we should should create a replicable project for mapping cities. If we start very small, considering são paulo size, we could actually do something and present as a final project.
Furthermore, if we start small we can act as a group and have real connections with real people.

Greetings from the Santa Cecilia district, near the centro do sp
in a rainy day.

Artur Matuck