[iDC] tenure and visibility

ryan griffis grifray at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 13:22:38 EDT 2005

while there are problems with the tenure process - it's ability to turn
peers into micromanagers and judges - to suggest that non-tenure
teaching is a real alternative for most people is ridiculous (private
schools that have full time contracts independent of tenure excepted).
part timers aren't hired because they're "innovative" anymore than
indonesians are for being master shoe makers. and many adjuncts are
finding that growing grad programs are providing a labor pool that
accepts even less money - in fact they're pretty much paying for their
own experience.
the tenure process may turn many of the people going through it into
self-obsessed walking CVs, but commuting to 3+ different schools to
make just above minimum wage with no health benefits and no guarantee
of a job next term (not too mention where the people you work "with"
don't even know who you are) can do something to you too. i'll take a
few faculty meetings if it means i can afford to go to the dentist and
the doctor if needed.
this is not just short term maneuvering by the university system...
an older article from the Chronicle (of all places) using the former
Invisible Adjunct to discuss the myth of the academic meritocracy and
the pyramid scheme that is graduate school.
http://chronicle.com/free/v50/i34/34a01001.htm
The situation John brings up about science and info accessibility is
indeed interesting, but in some cases, staying below the public radar
is just not possible.
http://tenurejustice.org/
best,
ryan