[iDC] activism now and

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Thu Dec 8 08:14:14 EST 2005

i will just add, in case i had not made it clear in my last post,  that
i am most definitely not trying to start a war (don't like em, don't
want em, don't need em)...my point was rather than in supporting
empowering, intelligent and fun modes of cultural resistance today we
may find ourselves tomorrow at the vanguard of a massive cultural tide
that unintentionally amplifies our prescient actions (as with
Negativland)...one that provokes significant social clashes simply by
doing what comes naturally (playing games, sharing things, talking,
jamming, inventing new ways of working, etc.). And while some of us may
be fine with this, others may legitimately fear unforeseen and
potentially serious consequences for institutions and individuals ...
And so I'm just saying that framing our invitations to actions of
resistance in this context may be wise and/or necessary as we look
ahead...that we should perhaps (at least on occasion) submit to the
aboriginal imperative to consider the consequences of our actions
across 7 generations – 3 past and 3 future – as we assess the merits of
various activist strategies...

thanks
john

--