[iDC] Art and Politics

Christiane Robbins at Jetztzeit cpr at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 28 18:07:31 EST 2005

As always, its good to hear from you, Nina, et all-

In further considering this thread, I thought that I would throw in a link to a work " Get Rid of Yourself" by a group of artists, the "Bernadette Corporation" created in 2003.  It may prove useful in our discussion.

http://www.bernadettecorporation.com/getrid.htm

"  Get Rid of Yourself  is a video-film-tract addressed to those who anonymously embody the return of political activism within Empire. While its initial sounds and images were filmed during the riots in Genoa, 2001, these materials are pulled apart and recomposed in order to locate the intensity of a shared experience, rather than producing one more documentary version of the programmed and hyper-mediatized confrontation of the G8 counter-summit. Elaborating a complex and rhythmic form of address via sound/image disjunctions, cheap video effects and performance, the film declares its own exile from a biopolitical space-time where nothing ever happens. The crisis it announces is the sudden return of history, but this time without characters or a story, and of a politics without subjects.

Provisionally aligning itself with the so-called ‘Black Bloc' movement – with the arrogance of its discourse as well as the force and style of their resistance – Get Rid of Yourself  is an encounter with emerging, non-instituted or identity-less forms of protest that refuse the representational politics of the official Left. Edited in the aftermath of 9/11 - a period of doubt, reflection and heightened security measures worldwide – the film also attempts to measure the strange distance these events have crossed, and the increasing repression under which the feeling of ‘civil war' has been buried in the meantime. A filmed essay that works by betraying its own form, Get Rid of Yourself  tries to approach what is most open in an event, rather than capturing and completing it as something recognizable. "

Best,

Chris