[iDC] 5 years of MIT Open Courseware and the proceeds of openness

William C Uricchio uricchio at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 6 13:31:06 EDT 2006

A quick response from inside MIT (but by no means for MIT).  One can twist and
turn on the power implications of giving or not, but issues of hierarchy seem
to have their roots in a far more extensive array of discourses than OCW and
seem only marginally affected by this particular 'gift'.  By 'giving away' our
course outlines (and in some cases, course content), we are consistent
with the
longer academic tradition of 'giving' papers.  Although the institution faces
the realities of late capitalist economic pressures, many of us in the
academic
world still enjoy the benefits of tenure and the freedom to pursue our
intellectual interests.  'Giving' our work in this way (which
admittedly is not
the same as giving the world an MIT education, for I'm not at all sure
what that
would look like or how it would be possible) simply makes good sense.  One of
the unmentioned benefits for MIT is that by making our course content
available, we're under a certain and very public pressure to keep our courses
on the cutting edge.  It's hard to sit on one's laurels.

Regarding the weak presence of media courses in MIT-OCW's otherwise robust
listing of courses, there is a reason.  Copyright.  I teach in the Comparative
Media Studies program <www.comparativemediastudies.org> and together with many
of my colleagues, am reluctant to reduce my courses to words on the screen or
to simply posting a syllabus.  We do a lot of innovative research on media
literacy, on games, multi-media learning environments, etc., in
addition to the
usual array of media forms (the book, photography, film, digital
culture).  This
work moves across textual forms and involves images and sounds.  The task of
clearing rights legally is nearly impossible, and so we've been encouraging
MIT's lawyers to lead the fight for the educational and fair use of such
materials in the context of OCW.  Unfortunately, for a variety of
reasons, they
refuse, leaving us with the simple choice of reducing our courses to words on
the screen or doing nothing.  We've taken a third route, and continue to
research and develop the media space and focus on off-line outreach.

OCW is a terrific initiative.  Yes, it has a few conceptual bugs, but it
continues quickly to evolve and innovate.  Let's hope that colleagues at other
institutions see the broader benefits of such an approach and make their
materials available as well -- and let's work towards a fundamental reform of
the current repressive IP regime so that the cultural forms of the 20th and
21st centuries can be interrogated and understood and not simply commodified.