[iDC] Gender, Race, and Ethnicity

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Tue Apr 18 17:47:13 EDT 2006

On 19/04/2006, at 6:20 AM, Christiane Robbins @ Jetztzeit wrote:

> With that said, my on-going hope is that we can acknowledge our role
> (s) and move forward on these issues - rather than covert assume
> that their shelf life convieniently expired in 2001.

Absolutely! Part of the difficulty with these discussions on new
media lists is the uneasy feeling in the "room" when the discussions
come up. So if you have an interest in the issues you're always torn
between a) wanting to forward those issues in a new media space that
you know should respond to them if it's not going to repeat some of
the more egregious errors of the historical avant-gardes, versus b)
having the conversation in places where you're going to feel
recognised and where one can learn something. [Or, for people whose
stakes in the discussion are higher than mine, there might also be
the feeling that the "new media community" is not a particularly safe
place to have the discussion.]  "Identity politics" was an
unfortunately skilful framing of the uneasy feeling from
predominantly white-male US academia that seems to have found
resonance in other settler cultures (e.g. the Antipodes, and the "new
media frontier"). The question of the subject is not an individual
question.

With that said, I'm grateful that this discussion is better than what
we can expect on nettime - thanks Trebor!

Paul brought up the word "literacy" before, and from my POV this is
what it comes down to. When the new media scene can have a discussion
about gender and race to the level of sophistication that we are used
to in other parts of the cultural sector - or optimistically, even
more so - then everyone is going to feel a lot better. This would
mean that Paul Gilroy's argument about black Atlantic culture as a
"counterculture of modernity" can be discussed with the facility that
we can talk about Benjamin - *particularly* if we want to then have a
conversation about "remix culture" within the broad parameters of
Euro-US modernism. A conversation about the remix unmarked by
Gilroy's material (if not his argument) is fake and boring. Eduardo,
this is nothing to do with "desperately separating things into
categories". It's about having some accountability to the cultural
forms we engage with as we do "theory" (or practice).

The literacy trope is useful because it implies the reading and
writing of texts. In my experience new media discourse, as befits its
Euro-US modernist roots, is particularly invested in reading a wide
range of cultural texts without the capability to write in them. This
is not to say that to read hip-hop and Hannah Höch, say, as examples
of a more general "remix" methodology is always a bad idea. But when
your work is being assessed within a particular community of practice
the "general" (remix) is quite often less useful than something more
specific (hip-hop). Or that one's ability to articulate the specific
might be a precondition of having one's global generalities do useful
work somewhere. This is a simple question of sustainability and not
reinventing wheels.

John, I appreciate your sensitive discussion of Jamaican music, and
that your your query about "innovative non-eurocentric new media
artists" (would we have consensus on "innovation?") is motivated by a
desire to see the discussion move forward pragmatically. But I have
to say that laundry lists of "non-Eurocentric media artists" are part
of the problem, not the solution. They become things that can be name-
checked as examples of non-Euro practices and this leads to tokenism
- not that tokenism is always worse than silence. FWIW, an upcoming
issue of Leonardo has pieces on the issue from myself and others. But
rather than looking for the marginal, it's more valuable, I think, to
precisely have a conversation about the *centre* of new media
discourse and its investment in particular racial/ethnic/gendered/
cultural norms.

Manovich the "media biologist"'s comment - asking for "proof" that
social factors are at play in media change - is asking for "proof"
that the few decades of feminist and anti-racist studies of science
(and, implicitly, media culture) apply to him. This is a gendered,
racial position, and it makes me fucking angry. I think that a "new
media discourse" that can routinely include Haraway's work from the
80s in its readers should be able to do a better job at not letting
Manovich make a mockery of that entire tradition. That's what I think
we should be able to talk about. And if we can have that
conversation, then I think we make our discourse more interesting and
more the kind of place where people who can have sophisticated
discussions about race and gender issues might spend their time.

Regards,

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net