[iDC] Gender, Race, and Ethnicity

"Ana L. Valdés" agora at algonet.se
Tue Apr 18 19:16:32 EDT 2006

Interesting with Black Atlantic and the discussion about a black culture
based on the displaced, on the black diaspora. I find Gilroy theses a
bit problematic and  I don't find  in his work  a  "literary approach".
The narrative of the black and of the hybrides, "les metisses" as
formulated by Aimé Cesaire, René Glissant and Derek Walcott, is a very
powerful tool in the making of a own identity, the "negritude" as a
confirmation of a broken identity, a "nomadic subject", in Rosi
Braidottis words.
But maybe the problem is the different realities in the US and in West
India and Antilles. Or the lack of an entity called "blacks". As little
we can speak about "whites". The cathegories of witheness and blackness
are not mirror images, the one has a normative value, the other is only
perceived as a "lacking".
In Frantz Fanons book "Black Skin, White Masks" it's easy to see the
patterns of the shattered ego who is not longer a black but either a
white, rejected by the hegemonic society and concieved as a traitor for
his own.
I think it's the dilemma today of all reading of a postcolonial
situation, from which perspective we do the reading, are we using what
Serge Gruzinski call the "Mestizo Mind" or are we exercing the need of
labeling and classification than  Modernity imposed upon us?
I try to applicate Bachtins analyse and search and hear the polyphonic
in the discourse.
Ana