[iDC] Interactive City: irrelevant mobile entertainment?

Adriene Jenik ajenik at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 21 14:58:14 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I have read this thread with both interest and sadness.

Interest, because many of the issues and questions being raised
post-ISEA/01 are issues I grapple with in the core of my artmaking
practice, but sadness that either not many people saw my SPECFLIC 2.0
piece at the MLK library, or I guess did not get it, or did not think
it successful in its attempts to take many of these issues on.

The piece is set in a public space - is not dominated by technology,
but uses multiple media forms to create a "story-experience." That
story- experience was about the public space - in this case the
library - of 2030, and the use of the future lens is meant not to
extoll the wonders of technology, but to rather create a temporary
public space where there is a critical reflection on the (social)
implications of the technologies.

By involving the audience in provoking one of the live characters -
many issues were brought up, if not explicitly "answered" - including
first amendment rights, the current war (and past wars), female
sexual response - in addition to the ideas around the future of the
book. Even though it was late at night there were young people and
children there as well as elderly people. A large portion of my
collaborators were young latino/as from the Bay and South Bay area
including local area performer/writers Praba Pilar and Melissa Lozano.

I'm only writing now because a) my artwork is my contribution to this
discussion on a broader level (I'm not a scholarly writer), a
conversation I want to be part of, and b) I'm dying for feedback and
fear I've missed the mark since noone among the list who is desirous
of more politically/locally/socially engaged works recognized my
efforts as a contribution to this.

I wrote earlier on 8/19 to the list, but it has not come through -
Trebor, is there an issue with my postings I'm not aware of that has
preveted them from pasing through? In that earlier post I also thanks
Giselle for her writing & the text she appended & hoped to find out a
link to the full article.

Thanks for the challenges this list puts forth...

best,

Adriene