[iDC] Re: Interactive City: irrelevant mobile entertainment?

Simon Biggs simon at babar.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 07:18:00 EDT 2006

Giselle's post is a typically incisive analysis.

I wonder whether it is useful to speak of "mobile art" projects. It seems an
unwieldy and yet overly specific term as it proposes to cover quite
divergent art forms and agendas, such as locative media, SMS "poetics",
mobile phone video's, etc.

If we can speak of an artform involving communications and IT technologies
which is also public in its mode of engagement then perhaps we can move
towards the definition of our subject.

Perhaps a key element in the general area being discussed is the "public"
nature of much of the work. Public art, as Giselle observes, works in a very
different context to the sort of art you will find in galleries, museums,
the corporate world or elsewhere. Thus it requires its own criteria for
analysis.

One of the main attributes one can observe about a lot of public art is its
almost subliminal status in the environment. That is, it becomes part of the
environment such that we come to treat it as we treat other elements in the
environment, whether a building, a tree or a street. It is readily
assimilated into our expectations of where we are and thus becomes
invisible.

Of course really exciting work seeks to achieve the opposite of this and
confronts us with the surprising in such a manner as to give us cause to
stop and ask ourselves questions about where we are, why it is like it is
and what are we doing there? However, even the most exciting work is still
assimilated and rendered invisible. It is probably impossible to make a work
that is endlessly surprising, even a work that is highly dynamic and
ever-changing. Perhaps it is not even desirable to do this? It is possible
that the latent invisibility of an artwork is an important part of its
existence, conditioning its social status and the role it will fulfill in
public space?

Best

Simon