[iDC] Re: The politics of cultural production

saul ostrow sostrow at gate.cia.edu
Sun Aug 27 23:06:57 EDT 2006

The promotion of culture as a tool of social conscience is has long
been considered a significant aspect of a political struggle. It as
an alternative media has been used to get the message out  by
criticizing the dominant consciousness, conventional values and an
ideology of class domination.   By promoting doubt, self-criticality,
and self-determination as positive forces, this critical culture by
negative example proposes  that awareness is a determining factor in
the evolution of those uncontrollable variables within the human
equation. Problematically, those who seek to construct a more
egalitarian society and those who wish to turn culture and
consciousness into  commodities  both act in the name of achieving
the same promised autonomy of discourse, self–referentiality, and
self-reflectivity. Each side in this equation seeks hegemony over the
terms and means of cultural production because these are the
traditional means  by which  not only the aesthetic but also  the
social values, standards and criteria that form our collective sense
of self come to be   re-enforced, maintained, reformed and reformed.

The heroes of this epic struggle for political  emancipation through
cultural  awareness are supposedly the artists and intellectuals, who
continue to negotiate the conventions of their practices, the forms
of mass culture and the means of production by challenging the social
relevance of these practices and the limitations of their forms.
Beyond this, critical culture continues is  the only area of social
production in which the stated ideals of individualism and innovation
are sustained.  Because we are allowed and even encourage to exercise
this fetishized, relative freedom  we continue to believe that  our
critical practices can effectively challenge the legitimacy of
Capital's mass culture industry which on the structural level   by
turning all real events into an author-less, un-interruptible flow of
undifferentiated information and entertainment produces a reality
that is more nuanced, and complex  than we suspect.   Within its
economy  our lives  are made to appear to be nothing more than  a
confusion of facts, fictions, and ersatz experiences.   The
consequence of this is we are slowly being disconnected from the
world of knowledge, awareness that induces the desire to transform
our world and ourselves.  Under these conditions it would appear to
me that in the absence of a viable collective sense of self - that
the consturction of one would be the first order of business -
otherwise we have no place to speak from or position to speak for.