[iDC] Re: Interactive City: irrelevant mobile entertainment?

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 29 12:49:02 EDT 2006

Greetings everyone -

Nice to get back to this list. I didn't go to ISEA, but I've
read the recent posts and I like the controversy. It's
striking that it was touched off by Kanarinka, who is
involved in such funny and playful work (infinitely small
things). I too would feel constrained in a situation where
play seems to be imposed as the rule, and war is the missing
topic. Play has become so strange in public culture. We
wanted the experience of freedom, sensuality, uproarious
laughter, equal exchange and diversity; and we got something
like neutralization, or control.

Mark Shepard wrote that the subject of play has been around
a long time. It's true. A couple years ago I followed
Debord's image of the "battle of leisure taking place before
our eyes" (1957) all the way back to Schiller's "Letters On
the Aesthetic Education of Man" (1794). It's a fascinating
essay - maybe the foundational text of democratic cultural
planning. It was written just after 1789; Schiller was so
hopeful about the French revolution, then so horrified by
the Terror. He saw aesthetic play as a possible mode of
governance for the new democratic citizenry, and he wrote
about a "play instinct" (Spieltrieb) acting as a mediator
between two different aspects of human consciousness: a
sensual drive, leading outward to a compelling diversity of
experience in time, and a formal drive, leading inward to a
coherent identity of self in the eternal realm of ideas. The
part I found amazing was that his reflection on the uses of
play led him to conceive two different ways that the ideal
statesman could treat the ordinary citizen, or what he
called "the man of time":

"Now two ways present themselves to thought, in which the
man of time can agree with the man of idea, and there are
also two ways in which the state can maintain itself in
individuals. One of these ways is when the pure ideal man
subdues the empirical man, and the state suppresses the
individual, or again when the individual becomes the state,
and the man of time is ennobled to the man of idea."

When the state suppresses the individual: that's ideology,
or literally state terror, the guillotine, the thing we fear
most. When the individual becomes the state, or is led to
intimately accept the legitimacy of the state, through the
diverse, sensual, and even liberating pedagogy of play:
that's what Schiller saw as a solution. Yet this solution
has become one of the things I really dislike in our
programmed societies. Particularly in the corporate
playgrounds where one sometimes finds oneself as an artist,
or even as a critic.

Mark Shepard and Tobias van Veen mentioned my text "Drifting
through the Grid." To my mind, it wasn't just about locative
media, nor just about the Cartesianism of GPS - which is the
part of the critique that Mark says was "internalized by the
field." What really interested me was the concept of
Imperial infrastructures - the world-spanning
information-processing systems, derived from US military
research and applications, which have subsequently been
opened up for public use. Internet, GPS, satellite
communications, etc. This "opening up" has made possible a
global assembly line and marketplace, still defended by the
military if need be.

The point of liberal capitalist society is to encourage the
diversification of both desire and productive activity, for
profit. The question for me was, how do our subversive
cultural activities play out in this open environment? It
seemed that the liberating aspects of many kinds of 60's
aesthetics, which were originally meant to work against the
imposed homogeneity of factory discipline, could have a
blinding and neutralizing effect under a cultural-economic
system that encourages expression and differentiation, but
constantly tracks and surveils it. Unfortunately this seems
ever more true. More recently I've been developing these
ideas further, to see precisely how a cybernetic capitalism
sets the parameters in which diversity and free play unfold
under profit-making conditions - while governments monitor
the results, and use the almost forgotten Cartesian
characteristics of the military technology to identify and
target certain kinds of actors, when certain thresholds are
passed, when certain differences are judged dangerous.

Of course this is a dark picture, but we live in dark times.
So what to do? turn off the broadband? hide from the
satellites in a Faraday cage? I don't think so. Nor do I
want to give up the risk of artistic play, which human life
needs for pleasure and exploration and delirium and
self-loss of every kind. I also like what Tobias said about
the fundamental impurity and commodity status of
art-as-prothesis. But where you play around, how, with what
effects, are the questions. There are plenty of people to
"adopt the model of research and development wholesale,
looking for corporate sponsorship or even ventura capital,"
as Marc Tuters and Kazys Varnelis put it in the text that
Mark Shepard cites. If you want an example of a
industry-government quango looking to optimize cultural
differences for the market, check out Proboscis, the British
tech-art funder which is also cited in the same passage of
that article. Those people are slick. To gloss over failure
(Tobias again) is to gloss over death, and with it, the
existence of others. And that's also been a major problem in
the USA since the air-conditioned nightmare got humming way
back when.

Cultural production still needs find ways to go against the
grain, in this case the slick faux-panel of neutralization
and blindess, in order to help create the resistance of a
self, which Saul Ostrow has talked about in such an
interesting way. The idea that autonomy isn't an issue - I
don't say an achieved condition, but a problematic quest for
individuals and groups - is unbearable to me in an age when
being on the inside amounts to suporting the trends of
corporate capital, and all that follows. I have no idea what
there really was to see and do at ISEA, but the controversy
over what such events are good for and how they work in
reality must be one of the more interesting things it produced.

all the best, Brian