[iDC] The Lure of Internet2

Rob van Kranenburg kranenbu at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 18 06:36:48 EST 2006

Hi,

This is my first post too. But yes I too wonder about what's
interesting abount internet 2 or 3, as

It is now official. The ITU Internet Reports 2005: The Internet of
Things claims:

  “…the next step in "always on" communications, in which new
technologies like RFID and smart computing promise a world of
networked and interconnected devices that provide relevant content
and information whatever the location of the user. Everything from
tires to toothbrushes will be in communications range, heralding the
dawn of a new era, one in which today’s Internet (of data and people)
gives way to tomorrow’s Internet of Things […]. We are heading
towards what can be termed a “ubiquitous network society”, one in
which networks and networked devices are omnipresent. […] The use of
electronic tags (e.g. RFID) and sensors will serve to extend the
communication and monitoring potential of the network of networks, as
will the introduction of computing power in everyday items such as
razors, shoes and packaging.’ [1]

http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/publications/internetofthings

maybe this has or is already being discussed here but I think the
agency of expert users in hobby electronics, wireless, on the one
hand and the need to be aware of new alliances between hardware,
software and legislation (rfid protocols, standards) on the other
hand (Microsoft buying Otto as a safe testbed for RFID and no privacy
problems) is vital now as we are in a transition period where there
is space to manoeuvre,

greetings, rob